Oct 17, 2012

Turning 2, 5'x7' rugs into an 7'x10'

When I redid Ryan's office I needed to figure out a way to cover the ugly parquet flooring.  I wanted a huge area rug to cover majority of the space.  Problem is, I'd need a rug that was about 8'x10' and those suckers cost a lot of cash.  I found one that I loved at West Elm, but it was $750.  I've got 2 kids, an 80lbs dog and a very hairy cat... plus, a slob(isn) husband.  No way am I investing in a beautiful area rug right now.  Not for at least another 10 years! 

West Elm
I started thinking about how I can cut the cost of an area rug that is just going to get ruined in a couple of years.  5'x7' rugs are readily available EVERY WHERE! and are relatively cheap.  You can find them places like Ikea or Home Depot for $50-100 bucks.  Hummm, 2, 5'x7' rugs side by side would be one big 7'x10' rug.  That could work!  I see Ikea do it all the time in their catalogues.

I went to JYSK and picked up 2 white shag rugs for $70 each.  Plus, I had a $25 off coupon because I am a loser and went to the Burlington new store Grand Opening special and waited in line for 40 minutes to get a $25 gift card and $25 coupon.  So anyway, my 2 rugs came to about $130 bucks.  But when I put them in the office, this is what they looked like after you stepped on them.


They slip and slide every where and it was pretty obvious I was being cheap and trying to pull off 2 rugs as one.

This is how I attempted to solve my problem.

I flipped over the rugs...


 Got out my caulking gun and loaded it with what ever extra caulking I could find in the basement


Drew some pretty pictures with the caulking and made James laugh


Let it sit for 24 hours to completely dry.  The safety pinned the 2 rugs together.


Now it looks like this.

Yup, still looks like I bought 2 rugs and am trying to make it look like one.  But ya know what, it was only $130 bucks, and there is no way you are going to find a 7' x 10' area rug for that price.  I think this method would work great in a place with more furniture.  Like a family room with couches and a coffee table to hide the seam.

I might move these into my family room and consider buying a nice rug for Ryan's office and just forbidding the children and animals to go in there... yeah right!!!



1 comment:

  1. I think this is a fantastic idea!! I've actually seen this kinda thing done on a show once and have considered doing it! If you find 2 great carpets, why not!!?? Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I think it was Sarah Richardson that I saw do that!!

    ReplyDelete