Nov 20, 2012

Recreating an Inspiration Room

Have you ever looked at a designer room and thought "I want that!" but are too intimidated to attempt it yourself?  Well, there is no reason to be afraid!  Everyone is capable of creating the home of their dreams within a reasonable budget.

All you need to do is break down the room's elements, and piece your space together, while working with what you already have and new pieces within your budget.  I'll show you how, with my new weekly post called "Recreating an Inspiration Room"

For my first post, I'm looking at this beautiful Master Bedroom as my inspiration room.  I love the soft, neutral palette.


Let's look at the elements in the room and see how to put the space together!


Easiest and cheapest fix... paint your walls

Benjamin Moore, Clay Beige

If you are replacing the flooring...

Low pile wool carpeting.  Available at most flooring stores.


If you aren't getting new flooring. consider a similar area rug

Sisal 8'x10' rug.  The Home Depot $439

Next, change your light fixture.  It has the biggest impact in a room (other than paint!)
The light fixture in the Inspiration Room is from Pottery Barn.

Camilla Chandelier.  Pottery Barn. $592.90


But shop around, you can always find one cheaper.... be sure to pick and choose where you splurge

Light Fixture.  The Home Depot $189.99

Now, think window coverings.  Buying fabric by the yard, and sewing your own curtains means you get exactly what you want.  But, it can be costly and time consuming.  Ready made panels are available every where and are nice and cheap! But, you may have to compromise on the style and/or colour.


 Robert Allen Linen Duck Fabric.com $11.98/yd



Pinch Please Curtain Panel.  BedBathStore.com.  $34.99

In a bedroom, linens are so important.  I don't recommend you cheap out on them.  You sleep on them every night.  I'm one to talk since my sheets and duvet are from IKEA, but I'm working on it.  I'm just really picky!!

Hotel Collection Bedding.  Bed Bath Store.  Queen Duvet $184.99
When it comes to furniture, always try to use what you have.  Paint it or reupholster it.  Consider just changing knobs, or mix and match pieces through out your house.

If your handy, you can easily DIY this headboard from Sears for around $100 bucks!
Here's a tutorial from House & Home

Tufted Headboard.  Sears.  $799

This is the original bed from the Inspiration Room.  I have to admit, I may be tempted to splurge on this bed.  Beautiful.

Eloise Bed.  BenMade by BrownStone. $3980


End tables are easy to pick up at garage sales or thrift stores and re purpose.  But if you are going to buy new, shop around.

Silhouette Nightstand West Elm. $104.97
Next add in all the other 'stuff'!

Peyton Table Lamp.  Sears $119.99

Rattan Tray.  Crate & Barrel.  $33.70

Bench, Bombay & Co.  $499

Faux Orchid in Copper Pot.  Pier1.  $35.00


(Art Work) Stretched Canvas available at most art stores.  JYSK has them for cheap.




6 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'd like to see some nursery ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Cate, I hadn't seen that Hoe Depot version of the twig chandelier - what a steal!! Great post!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy - isn't it a steal!!! I may have to pick one up for my dining room!! Thanks for stopping by. I've been a follower of yours for some time!

      Delete
  3. This is a great post, Cate! I really love the idea of breaking a room down into the different elements! Thanks so much for stopping by my hutch post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda. Thanks for stopping by. I've been a follower of yours for some time now and really enjoy your posts!!! :) Cait

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete