Jan 1, 2015

"Ombre" Dresser from Annie Sloan's New Book!

In Annie Sloan's new book Room Recipes for Style and Colour , she showcases a stunning dresser, done in colours created with different mixes of Barcelona Orange and Greek Blue.  The dresser caught my eye right away, and I really wanted to replicate it... but, of course, with my spin!!!

Link

Here's a pic of the dresser - Luckily for me, it was also featured on the cover of Fresh Style magazine.  I didn't want to take a picture of inside Annie Sloan's book.... I know nothing about copyright this and that blah blah blah.... but a magazine cover is fair game, right?!?!



Anyway, Nicole, from The Painted Bench in Oakville, had the perfect dresser for the project.  I can't believe this green, monster dresser was headed for the trash.


The key to getting this sucker right, was the colours.  I spent a looooong time mixing and playing with combos of Greek Blue and Barcelona Orange.  I wish I had taken pictures of all my trials, because it is truly amazing just how many colour variations you can get with just 2 cans of paint.  The possibilities are endless with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  

Here it is... All complete!  The top drawer is blue with a touch or orange.  And the bottom drawer is orange with a touch of blue.  I wish I could share the formula for the other drawers, but I had no method to my mixing.  I just kept playing until I got it right!!










Sooooo...Whose do you like better?!?!??! Annie or Cait?!?!?! hahaha





4 comments:

  1. Love how you flipped the colours upside down by putting the blue at the top.. The gradient in yours is much more subtle (you also have one less drawer)..I like your furniture piece better.. the black paint between the drawers frames them better and makes it look much more dramatic ("pop"). I think you were spot on with the effect - glad you used a different gradient rather than copying the magazine exactly.. Your piece is unique even next to the magazine - love your custom colors - glad you avoided the dark green that they used. Must have been a lot of work - amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting book to read and I really love it a lot. thanks for this useful info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your rendition better as well. Your project should be in a magazine. You did a better job than Annie herself....oops, did I say that? Yes, yes I did. I like the softeness of the color combinations you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete